We love waxing.
Ahhh, the benefits of smooth, stubble-free skin for weeks, no more razor burn, and no time wasted shaving in the shower. Waxing is next level, but occasionally some of us suffer from the dreaded ingrown hair.
Now, before I reveal the secrets to avoiding and treating ingrown hairs, let’s talk facts.
Ingrown hairs can happen for some or all of the following reasons;
- More than one hair growing from a follicle,
- The presence of bacteria, and/or
- Build up of dead skin causing a crusty outer layer.
So now, how to prevent?
The answer is simple: exfoliate a few times a week.
But! Do not exfoliate with just any old thing! The best products to use are exfoliating gloves made from nylon.
These gloves have been my preferred method forever because:
- The nylon has the correct amount of roughness to remove the dead skin cells an allow the hair to come through the pore unobstructed.
- The nylon does not harbor bacteria hanging out in the shower the way other exfoliating products do (i.e. loofa).
- This method is highly effective and inexpensive.
For those with very sensitive skin and coarse hair, a slightly more aggressive measure may need to be taken. In this case, I recommend a 1-2 combo of exfoliating with nylon gloves one day, followed by using a glycol cream the next.
I love Cell Renewal Systems’ 12% Glycolic Body Smoother (pictured above). This cream works phenomenally to keep the skin free of dead skin build-up, to smooth old ingrown scars, and kill the bacteria that cause those nasty infections in the first place.
Plus: don’t forget that exfoliating is great for the entire body. It keeps the skin glowing and inspires circulation.
Be Fabulous ~ Carrie